Friday, April 1, 2016

Unrush Me

   

     My March book was The Best Yes by Lysa Terkeurst.  Holy guacamole it is every word I have ever needed to hear in a book. From the relatable stories to the harsh criticism, Lysa explains how to be free from the bondage of the word yes. So why did I title this post "Unrush Me"? Was it a cry for help for someone to actually take all my responsibilities so I can take a 2-3 day nap? Yes! Sign up in the comments below and I will give each individual a task I don't want to do this month.

...Just kidding (April fools?). Although that sounds fine with me, it simply isn't reality. My biggest struggle is saying yes to any and everything. You need someone to talk to? I got you- over coffee, please. You need help with homework? Ask yo girl. You need advice on big decisions? I will become the ring leader of your future. You need me to wipe your floor, feed you grapes, and fan you? I CAN DO THAT AT 3:30 ON TUESDAY. I might as well get a forehead tattoo that says, "yes", so you don't even have to ask.

     I am the girl that fills her schedule up to the brim but still doesn't believe in going to sleep past 10:30. If you didn't already gather, this creates some gigantic challenges. The only thing I like being filled to the brim is a cup of coffee. That is it. That is all the "brim fill" I appreciate. I can hear my schedule laughing at me from my backpack as we speak. Jerk. So insensitive, that schedule of mine.

      So how do I show my schedule who's boss? How do I make my schedule understand that I HAVE THE UPPER HAND HERE? Well you see, I make the schedule. I am the reason that the lines in my planner are scribbled with deadlines. It is not the schedule's fault, it is mine. At the peak of my stress last month, I felt like I had jumped in my planner, shut it, and couldn't get out. I felt like I was drowning in the ink on the pages telling me what I had to do survive. Right when I was about to give up and let the waves of deadlines overtake me, a sweet boy showed up with a certain book in his hands.

      This sweet boy is my very handsome boyfriend, Jordan. I don't know how he does it, but without me even saying I am struggling, he knows. He showed up at my door with The Best Yes and coffee, of course, because he gets me. "I feel like this book could really help you when you're stressed" He said. The hours he spent reading through summaries in Barnes and Noble were well spent I'd say because this book came at the exact moment I needed it.

      "Making wise decisions in the midst of endless demands" was the first sentence I read and I knew Jordan had chosen the right one. (I also realized God gave me the best man in the world and I couldn't be more grateful) In The Best Yes, Lisa talks of the dreadful word yes and feeling powerless to saying no. This book portrays the big difference between saying yes to everyone and saying yes to God. In other words, if our schedules pull us away from our relationship with God and the joy that can only be found in Him, it is time to say n-

It is time to say nnn-

*Clears throat* *Breaths deeply* *Sips coffee* *Refills coffee* *Really enjoys the coffee* *Forgets about blog altogether because wow this coffee*

       It is time to say..no. There it is- the two letter word that I felt powerless to saying a month ago makes perfect sense if I can't be the best version of myself for Him. The Best Yes truly shows us which yes is the best yes; If what we are agreeing to do is for selfish reasons to appear that we have it all together or if it is truly what God has in store for you. I would recommend this book to anyone feeling like they are living out of their planner and not their house, as I felt. God is good. God is understanding and sometimes we need the words of others to help us see that.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Hannah this is so good and I didn't realize how much I needed it when I first started reading this blog entry! The end got me, but in a way I needed so thanks!!

    ReplyDelete