Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Thief of Comparison


     As you can tell, I post most on body confidence. I find that this is where I am most vulnerable, but also most strong. I have found that the view of my body can ruin or propel my productivity. I have found that comparison is the largest trap, that I sometimes don't even plan on wandering in to.

     Today, I wanted to write about overcoming comparison. I write in my personal journal whenever I feel down, and I use that time, to build myself up. After writing for my own eyes, I wanted to share it with you. I believe that vulnerability is the most beautiful thing about someone, because everyone puts on their masks each day. 

     I originally wanted to use my journal as a template for writing this post on comparison. However, as I typed, I found myself scratching out the sentences where I appeared too distressed. I found myself attempting to ice over something that many women struggle with. 

     So I decided to give you my journal entry. An entry that is raw and 100% how I feel and what I struggle with. An entry that shows how I  build myself up when I am down. I hope this helps many women see that they are not alone and are breathtakingly beautiful.

7-16-16

"I've been struggling with comparison still. I know my body isn't how it used to be, but that doesn't mean it isn't absolutely beautiful. Stunning!- A carefully made work of art. Each curve, bump, and scar is unique and flawless. Why have we been taught that a size over 4 is too big?Why do we cringe when we reach for a large top or bottom? Why have we been taught to grab at our hips in disgust? When did it become wrong to not be stick thin or rippling with muscles? When did the true body of a woman become something we fight endlessly against? Why on earth are these thoughts and feelings put into our heads?
I am stunning.
I buy clothes that compliment my personal body type. The size of those clothes do not matter. How well they flatter your specific, incredible, unique body matters.
A pose that one girl looks great doing, may not flatter your body. Just as a pose that shows off your beauty, may not work for them.
I look at how stunning one woman is, and another. Yet, realize that the two look absolutely NOTHING alike. One is blonde, plump lips, skinny body, and a button nose. While the other is a brunette with a healthy fit body, strong legs, and a freckled face. She doesn't have a stomach as flat as the blonde, but I have found myself comparing myself to BOTH, when neither resembles the other whatsoever.
This goes to show that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. There is no "one" universally beautiful girl. Just like waves crashing on the shore is a beautiful sight, so are christmas lights at night. Yet the two are absolutely nothing alike. Someone else's beauty does not diminish yours. Just because one girl's smile is stunning, does not mean yours isn't.
Freckles are breathtaking and enviable, yet most girls with freckles are quick to cover them up with foundation and self hate.
Strong legs are enviable and desired, yet those same girls are googling ways to shrink themselves.

I once was at the gym on the treadmill. I was doing sprint intervals because sprints increases leg mass, rather than long distance running. A girl got on the treadmill right next to me. She was wearing spandex and her legs were so toned and gorgeous! TOTAL CARRIE UNDERWOOD LEGS. However, when I went to fill my water bottle up, I overheard her telling her friend how badly she wants to get rid of "these" while grabbing her thighs.

No woman is satisfied with themselves. It's how we are. In a good way, it helps us improve. However, just remember while you are wishing and working to look like some one else, another girl out there is admiring your beauty and is jealous of you. 
Don't waste time in the comparison trap.
Your life, your body, your beauty is so enviable! AND IT IS ALREADY YOURS. So go live- gratefully and confidently. 
#YouAreWorthy"

No comments:

Post a Comment